Traffic Violation Points in New York
List of points for tickets in NY.
Points on your New York Drivers License can cause your license to be suspended or revoked. Please note that insurance companies may also have “point systems” of their own. These have no relationship to, and should not be confused with, the DMV point system. Even just a few traffic violation points in New York can result in higher insurance rates for several years — something that can literally cost you thousands of dollars.
The chart below lists the most common NYC traffic tickets for you need to know:
- Speeding (1-10 MPH over posted limit): 3 points
- Speeding (11-20 MPH over posted limit): 4 points
- Speeding (21-30 MPH over posted limit): 6 points
- Speeding (31-40 MPH over posted limit): 8 points
- Speeding (more than 40 MPH over posted limit): 11 points
- Reckless driving: 5 points
- Failing to stop for a school bus: 5 points
- Following too closely (tailgating): 4 points
- Inadequate brakes: 4 points
- Inadequate brakes while driving an employer’s vehicle: 2 points
- Failing to yield right-of-way: 3 points
- Violation involving a traffic signal, stop sign, or yield sign: 3 points
- Railroad-crossing violation: 3 points
- Improper passing, unsafe lane change, driving left of center, or driving in wrong direction: 3 points
- Leaving the scene of an incident involving property damage or injury to a domestic animal: 3 points
- Safety restraint violation involving a person under 16: 3 points
- Texting while driving: 5 points
Any other traffic violation points in New York: 2 points.
Need help fighting a NYC traffic violation? Contact New York Traffic Law attorney Anthony Sharnov by calling (718) 521-4909. We protect your interests and fight on your behalf to get tickets dismissed.